I arrived in Fiji at 6:30 am Fiji time. As I stepped off the plane and was serenaded by lovely music, it felt so surreal. I was a bit nervous to go through customs for the first time and wasn't sure as to what they were going to ask me but it ended up being an easy process. I grabbed my bags and headed into the main lobby which wasn't very large. An Australian guy that I spent time chatting with in LA at the Fiji airport as well. I was very comforted by the fact that he had a long layover in Fiji as well. We went into their little cafe to grab a bite to eat. After talking with him for a few hours we decided to grab a cab and do some sight seeing. It was a culture shock to be one of few americans in this little town. God was good and blessed me with protection and I was able to really enjoy His beauty. I even got to see a Fiji fire truck :D
I went back to the airport and proceeded to check in for my flight. This is where I ran into problems... They saw my carry on and backpack and said that I needed to weigh each of my bags. The lady said that my bags were to heavy to take with me and that I would need to check them both in. I explained that I had all my medications in my bag and that I wasn't going to check the bag in and allow someone else to handle my bag. She ended up grabbing her supervisor and he told me the same thing that I couldn't take my bags along with me. I again told him that I was going to New Zealand for 6 months and that was the reason why I had so much medications. He asked me what medical conditions I had and if I had taken my medications today. I felt very uncomfortable telling him this information. He started saying that he would be contacting someone in New Zealand to tell them that I was bringing a large amount of medications into the country. He finely negotiated with me and stated that I could bring one bag that weighed around 20 lbs... drawing a blank on what there metric system is. LOL. Anyway, I had to check in my backpack which had things to keep me entertained on the plane. On top of having to check in my bag I had to pay $200 Fiji dollars which is around $100... I started to cry but knew that God would provide.
The flight from Fiji to New Zealand flew by... literally ;) Mom you would be proud of me I ate chicken curry. The other choice was lamb which wasn't brave enough to try.
I arrived in Auckland, New Zealand around 6:30pm. Butterflies were about to escape from my stomach, I was filled with so many emotions but was soo blessed to finally arrive after around 34 hours of traveling.
DTS staff were waiting with a warm welcome and hugs at the airport. The girls told me that we would be waiting in Auckland for 2 other girls that were arriving later. We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at subway and having a cup of coffee while we waited. One of the girls flights was delayed and so we only picked up one girl. We had a long drive back to the base around midnight, what was only suppose to be 3 hours turned into 4. I was able to sleep for half the time but woke up with excitement. Might have been the fact that I REALLY had to use the bathroom. I guess people in New Zealand never take road trips because there was NOWHERE were we could use a bathroom. Three stops later we finally found a bathroom. Praise Jesus for the little things.
We arrived at the base around 4am. Everyone was obviously asleep so I hopped into bed and had no problem sleeping.
Saturday morning I woke up around 8am... tried falling back asleep but I was wide awake and ready to meet everyone. The morning was very laid back and relaxing. A group of students were driven into town by one of the staff to shop for anything that we forgot. This was my first time being able to see the beautiful land that New Zealand has to offer.
The rest of the day consisted of lunch, unpacking, taking a nap, socializing and playing games, dinner and family time. I went to bed around 10pm which is really early for me but I was exhausted!!!
SUNDAY JULY 14th 2013
Woke up at 630 am.... which is crazy because I'm not usually a morning person. We were presented with a couple of choices of local churches and were able to pick a church that we wanted to go to. The church I went to had great worship and amazing coffee :)
After church and lunch we got to go to the beach and Mount Maunganui. What a beautiful place.. I started up jogging up the mountain and power walking up the steps but that didn't last for very long, but I made it to the top and what a sight it was. To be fully engulfed in Gods beauty was soo surreal. My pictures don't do justice to the beauty at the top of the mountain.
Dinner time is becoming such a family orientated time. I love being present with these people and getting to know each of their stories. After dinner most of the girls got together for a Zumba session... what a blast.
Today I have been learning to be present in each moment and truly opening my heart to this group of people that I get to call my YWAM family. I truly miss everyone back home but I'm so excited to be here and be open to what God has for my life.
Its only 9:15pm here and I'm already exhausted... I know that I will be sleeping well tonight.
Much love from New Zealand,
Mal
My backyard





No comments:
Post a Comment